Sunday, April 24, 2011

~* Happy Easter, Remembering the Armenian Genocide *~

Today is an important day to many Christians, especially Armenians. It is the Feast of the Glorious Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. April 24th is also the remembrance day of the Armenian Genocide that took place 1915 - 1917 by the Ottoman Empire. One and a half million Armenians lost their lives. This is the first time since 1915 that Easter and the Remembrance Day have fallen on the same day. It's a meaningful coincidence. Armenia was the first country who held Christianity as it's nation's religion. The Armenian people were brutally killed because of this faith.

Every once in awhile I test my Armenian cooking skills, so today is perfect for that. I'll be cooking Armenian pilaf & lahmajoon (Armenian pizza!) Wish my aunts in CA could be here! Hope everyone has a wonderful day with their loved ones.

'Bari Zatik' - Happy Easter

xOxO

12 comments:

The Wallace Family said...

Happy Easter to you and your family. Hope you all enjoy your day!! HUGS!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is GORGEOUS Deb and what an amazing tribute to your heritage!!! Happy Easter! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

terri k said...

Happy Easter Deb!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Deb dearest...I wish I could be there to give you a big hug....and taste YOUR PIZZA! What on earth is it topped with???? SHARE THE RECIPE! And I am so happy to see that you gave us a bit of history on this day of rememberance. It is so strange that we live in a world where people are persecuted for their faith. Faith is about love. Well, all we can do is LOVE and show the world its power. You look like the queen I always knew you would be in your gorgeous creation! Peace dearest, Anita

The Mama Monkey said...

Fabulous layout and I loved reading about the story. I am so glad we learn from our history so we don't repeat the same mistakes.

Happy Easter!

Leanne said...

Happy Easter Deb, I hope you and your adorable family had a beautiful day. We celebrated ANZAC day today which is a remembrance day for our soldiers that lost their lives in Gallipoli. Such a moving day.

Love to you
Leanne xxx

Jocelyn said...

This is just beautiful!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Wishing you a great one sweet friend!!!!

LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sussie said...

Very interesting facts and a very beautiful LO! I love the colours and you mixed it so well... Happy Easter!

Drama queens mum (Kimberly) said...

I don't even think I knew that about the Armenian genocide. I wish I paid more attention in school. Some things I think I just don't remember cause I've been out of school for 22 years. But I'm hoping to learn a lot or refresh when T gets in school. I love that you did a page about your heritage.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Hope you had a wonderful holiday, Deb. It's important to take the time to honor your heritage and what a great way to do that by cooking traditional treats. xoxo Theresa

Karen said...

How did the Armenian pizza turn out? Great, I'll bet. Thanks for sharing a piece of your Armenian heritage with us. May we all learn from such tragedies.

Lorraine said...

Bari Zatic, gorgeous Queen, love your post, as always, gosh I've missed you