Saturday, December 18, 2010

~* rOlLeD fLoWeR oRnAmEnT tutorial *~ by Tina McDonald


It has been a pleasure showcasing Tina McDonald's designs with the Paris Hilton Creativity Collection this week. Her creations are all unique, beautiful and perfect for the holidays! Her final project is no exception either. Take a look at this gorgeous, sparKly rolled flower ornament she created with papers from the Rock Star Diva scrapbooking theme kit!!!!! This is beyond creative! And Tina has been gracious enough to share a tutorial of how she created it!


Supplies Needed:


Patterned paper
Strong adhesive (Helmar's Liquid Glue Dots)
Stickles or glitter glue
1 styrofoam ball
Long stick pins with a large head
2 inch circle punch
Silver thread or ribbon to hang

How to:


1. Punch several circles out from patterned paper.
2. Cut spiral from outside to center of circle as shown in photo.
3. Starting from the outside, roll tightly to form a flower bud. Tuck final under and around to form base.
4. Now, set the flower down, allowing it to uncoil some and relax.
5. Open the bottom flap and apply a nice fat dab of Helmar's liquid scrap dots.If you don't have any, get some! LOL But for now, you can try a hot glue gun or another really strong adhesive. Press flower into glue and hold until set.
***At this point I would set the flower aside and create another...the liquid scrap dots will need some time to cure. There are lots of flowers to be made! :)
6. Once the flower is well set, apply a dab of liquid scrap dots to the bottom of the flower and stick to the styrofoam ball. To hold in place, I stuck a pin to the center while the scrap dots cured. Again, if no scrap dots are available, you can use a glue gun or other strong adhesive.



7. Repeat step #6, adding flowers tightly to each other, thus reducing the amount of styrofoam visible between. Using a light colored paper helps it to be less visible. If you choose to use a darker colored paper, you might want to paint the styrofoam before you begin.
8. After the entire ball is filled with flowers, I added a stick pin to the top and tied a silver thread to it. you can use a ribbon or whatever you like for this step! :)
9. Allow the ball to sit overnight to be sure all the adhesive has time to set.
In the morning, remove all the stick pins.
10. Add the Stickles to each individual flower in a swirling circular motion. Don't be too fussy...it's going to look fabulous when it dries! (You will notice I had done this before letting is sit overnight! It made a mess on my pins, but if you're okay with that, it cuts down on drying time!) Once this is dry, you are done!
You're ready to gift it...or display it! I had initially planned to hang it on my tree, but it is a bit heavy, so it is more of a kissing ball for me! Wherever you hang it, make sure to hang it where it will be seen! Any project that takes that much work deserves it!!

Tina, thank you for sharing your time and talent with the Paris Hilton line. You have remarkable talent and we wish you all the best!
You can purchase the Paris Hilton Creativity Collection at Tuesday Morning stores or online at:
www.pariscreativity.com

xOxO

16 comments:

Sherry Goodloe said...

VERY pretty! and thanks for the tutorial.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you my friend xoxo

MrsETaylor said...

Tina M is a true Rock Star when it comes to paper crafting. I just love her to bits!!!!

Karen said...

Oh my word!! All those little rolled flowers and sparkly Stickles add up to a one beautiful ornament....thanks so much for the tutorial, Tina!

Great feature, Deb! Hope all is well. Its such a crazy busy time of year....I'm up to my eyeballs in cleaning right now (not the holly jolliest of activities, but necessary, nonetheless). I am so looking forward to one of my fav traditions in a couple nights...taking the kidlets to look for Christmas lights all over town. :>

The Average Jay said...

OMG what an Awsome project. This is a great post.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning precious one....my Saturday was full of too many things and it left me extremely tired and spent. Here I am to be enchanted by yet another wonderful idea in FULL COLOR of BLUE, my favorite color of all time....and has the magic of love of the season hit your home? Remember that HOME is where your loved ones are dearest...thinking of you, Anita

Jocelyn said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial!!!!! The ornament is stunning!!!! WOWZA...I just wish I had some time to make a few of these...

Maybe is I don't sleep...I could carve out some time!!!

Lorraine said...

I'm not an artist, but art inspires me in doing what I do best, writing and taking photos, I'm very grateful to artists ;) - your beautiful self included ;)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! This is AMAZING!!!!! WOW!!! GORGEOUS!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Avitaion/Travel Expert said...

Very Very Pretty,
Thats a really pretty piece of work. And a wonderful holiday idea. I am actually thinking of making one of those for our tree.
She sure knows how to rock the Paris line, that's for sure

Love always,
Kyle (your son)

Callista said...

this is gorgeous!! love it!
how are you doing my friend? you've been on my mind!

zandra said...

Great tutorial. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Hugz, Z

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest friend, your loyalty to my blog, whether I am posting something serious, fluffy, "spiritual" or just plain silly like my theatre, you are there. You have been since I believe, the beginning for me which in January will be two wonderful years. Thank you for coming to the THEATRE and watching my two characters do what they do best. Do you know that Tea Rat is patterned after me and Rattus after, teeeheee....my husband?! Although Ruben would never refuse a huggy!!!

LOVE TO YOU DEB, and may all your wishes come true dearest. I will post on my new additions when all is done, which looks like these guys are EVEN WORKING IN THE EXTREME COLD AND SNOW in order to get this baby off the ground!

BISES, Anita

Drama queens mum (Kimberly) said...

That's beautiful.

kasthurirajam said...

beautiful

Faerie Moon Creations said...

This is SOOOOO beautiful! Thanks to Tina for the tutorial. It even looks like something I might even be able to do myself. LOL I'm not the best at paper crafts. :) Thanks, Deb, for sharing this. Have a beautiful holiday!!!! Theresa

Bruce said...

Thanks for a great Christmas decoration post
Best Christmas Decorations